How To Buy What You Love


Personal Styling

A personal stylist's secret to buying what you love


A few weeks back I posted an IG Story about my 3 rules for shopping. I want to look at Rule #1 a little deeper.

Rule #1 Buy what you love. Leave behind what you like.

This might seem simple but how often to you find yourself buying what you like vs what you love? I have quite a few things in my home and closet that I thought I loved when I made the purchase but as I look at them I realize that they are really just a place holder until I find what I absolutely love. And when I do find what I love, those "place holders" are the first thing I pounce on to get rid of!

Here is my tip for learning to buy only what you love. When I run across something I want to buy, whether it is clothing or a decor object, I will carry it around with me for awhile in the store and ask myself that question. Sometimes multiple times. At some point, the answer will come as I will easily release the item or keep it. Answer received! This process really has worked for me and has given me permission to let go of things I only like (and save money) and demonstrate discipline in waiting for what I love. In this process I have learned how to choose things well over often. 

Try this on your next buying trip and let me know how it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment